Bharat Aluminium Co. Ltd. (BALCO) was incorporated in the year 1965 as a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) and since then the company has been closely associated with the Indian Aluminium Industry, in a pivotal role.
Vedanta Limited (Formerly known as Sesa Sterlite Ltd) holds a 51% controlling stake in BALCO, while the Government of India holds the remaining 49% stake.
BALCO’s operations include two bauxite mines, two power plants (of which one is used to produce power for captive consumption), and refining, smelting and fabrication facilities in Central India. A 1200 MW power plant is under construction. In FY 2014-15, production was stable at 245 kt Korba-I smelter. At the new 325 kt Korba-II smelter, 84 pots were commissioned during the year and produced 71,000 tonnes, which include 19,000 under trial run.
In the recent coal block auctions conducted by the Government, BALCO was successful in securing a coal mine which is ready for production; Chotia block has reserves of 15.5 mt and annual production capacity of 1 mtpa. We have started production at the Chotia coal mine during Q4 FY2015-16. Aluminium pot ramp-up was begun at 325 ktpa at BALCO.
In FY 2015-16, the ramping up of the Jharsuguda-II and Korba-II smelters reflected well in the record full year aluminium production of 923kt. It also led to the reduction in cost of production (CoP) by 10% to US$ 1572/t. Further, Aluminium pot ramp-up commenced at 1.25mtpa smelter at Jharsuguda. In FY 2015-16, production was stable at the 500kt Jharsuguda-I and 245kt Korba-I smelters. The 1,250kt Jharsuguda II smelter produced 76,000 tonnes during FY 2015-16 with 82 pots operational. The 325kt Korba-II smelter produced 75,000 tonnes with 84 pots operational during the year. Robust production at the Lanjigarh alumina refinery achieved a record operating level at 97% of permitted capacity of 1 mt, producing 971,000 tonnes in FY 2015-16.
For further information please click on the below link :
Korba Aluminium smelter, BALCO, Chattisgarh, India
Jharsuguda Aluminium smelter plant, Odisha, India
Lanjigarh Alumina Refinery, Odisha, India
Where We Operate
Our aluminium operations have operational smelters at Korba
(Chhattisgarh) and Jharsuguda (Odisha) and an alumina refinery at